Having to take care of a family member at short notice throws up a number of questions. How can I ensure that my family member gets the best care possible? How can I reconcile my career or study with caring for my partner, parents or children? We are here to answer all your care-related questions and can offer you a range of support services. You can contact Ana Dzhigovechki of the TUM.Family – Kids, Family and Elder Care Center in absolute confidence.
Counselling, Placement and Emergency Care
Thanks to a cooperation between TUM and ElternService AWO, all TUM employees and students are entitled to receive comprehensive counselling regarding all forms of care for the elderly and support in searching for a suitable nursing home or outpatient care. If family members need emergency care quickly, the ElternService AWO organizes qualified assistance within 24 hours (on working days). Hotline: 0800 296 11 33 (Monday until Friday, 8 am to 8 pm and in emergency cases around the clock).
If you would like to get information about elderly care, you may access to an extensive online information portal.
TUM.Family covers the cost of arranging the nursing care and the families cover the cost for the caretaker or the nursing home. The consultants from ElternService AWO are pleased to advise you regarding the possibilities of subsidizing the fees.
Advice centers in the greater Munich area
Respite services for carers
If you would like to arrange more flexible working hours, take time out to care for a family member or are considering working from home, you can learn more here about arrangements for reconciling study or career with care commitments.
You may also find the following brochures helpful (only available in German):
- Pflegebedürftig. Was nun? (need nursing care – what now?) (PDF 1,6 MB)
- Ratgeber Pflege (guide on caring) (PDF 5MB)
- Pflegen zu Hause (caring for relatives at home) (PDF 7,2 MB)
- Pflegeleistungs-Helfer vom Bundesministerium für Gesundheit (Nursing benefit assistance of the German Ministry of Health)
- Pflegestärkungsgesetz I (First Act to Strengthen Long-term Care)
- Better reconciliation of family, care and work - in English! (PDF 0,4 MB)
- Unterstützung und Pflege - Informationen für pflegende Angehörige der Stadt München (support and care in Munich) (PDF 0,4 MB)
- Entlastungsangebote für pflegende Angehörige Landkreis München (respite offers for caregivers in the greater Munich area) (PDF 1,1 MB)
- Seniorenfibel Freising (Freising guide) (PDF 6,9 MB)